Tuesday, April 9, 2013

One More Week

Getting ready in style for my baby boy J.


Today I officially hit 39 weeks! I can't believe this day has come. Looking back, every day seemed a million years from this point. And in reality, there's practically a million more! I could go all the way to 42 weeks... but I really, really don't want to!

So last night around 1 AM I gave myself this great baby manicure. I hope it will still be here when he arrives (so don't be late, Julian!) My nails had grown insanely long and I was scratching myself and Renato all the time, so they had to go so I don't hurt my little one.



They started out simple but quickly spiraled out of control. I guess they're better for a baby shower (that's what I Googled anyway for some ideas), but I think having cute nails for my delivery will give me a little motivation, or at least be something to distract me.

The color is off here, but the image is a little sharper... 


I was worried about completely butchering the design on my right hand, but it came out surprisingly well! Practice makes perfect ;)

Now I just need a pedicure to match... sadly we're totally broke and my fiancee is too manly to paint my toes for me. (In case you didn't know... Most pregnant women can't see their feet let alone put socks on without help. Painting my toes would be a nightmare).

Everything is coming together for Julian. I'm so ready to meet this little guy! We finally set up our crib. Seeing it brought me to another level of "Whoa, this is real". We're sharing our room with the baby so our "nursery" is really just one wall of the room, but does a 7 pound baby really need an entire room for itself? He can't even lift his own head. I want to co-sleep as much as I can anyway, so we got the "By Your Side Sleeper" at Target, which is basically a little basket to protect the baby while he's in bed with you.

Julian's "nursery". We kept it to just the basics: a dresser for all his little things (and to change him), a crib, plus a comfy chair just out of frame. We didn't get a swing or any of that extra stuff. There's my diaper bag and Boppy in the crib ready to take to the hospital.

Although I'm excited to meet this guy, of course, I also have my moments of being scared. Right now I don't really feel that way about delivery though. I think I'm starting to get more anxious about all the time after he'll be born. I've never had a baby in my life before, so this is going to be new for me in a thousand ways. Renato had his little brother when he was 10 and so he can remember a lot about him growing up. I've never fed, changed, or bathed a baby. I've probably only held 2 or 3 in my whole life! 

Giving birth will be over and done with in a day. Billions of women have done it and survived. But actually raising a baby to grow up and be a good person? A lot of people have failed at that.

Well that's kind of a downer to end this on, so sorry about that! Being negative about this baby is the last thing I want to do, because then I'm just setting myself up for failure. We're both so happy to be having him, and everyone in both of our families are too. We turned out OK despite not having perfect parents and I'm sure Julian will only get the best from both of us (so he'll be incredibly handsome, of course!) 

Let's all hope I'm in labor by next Tuesday, 
Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment