Thursday, June 6, 2013

Back online... and I hate it!

Ok, so hate is a strong word. BUT I do really dislike a lot of the habits that I've created online. Last Friday, Renato's brother ordered internet service. I don't notice a huge change in how we interact with each other, but I do notice myself every time I am wastefully surfing the web.

One of the biggest things I changed online was that I deleted about 100 people off of my Facebook almost the first day of being back. I didn't talk to these people, I hardly knew these people, and in some cases I didn't even like these people! It was ridiculous. There's still people I could delete but even that is a waste of time for me. I'm probably just going to use it to share news and pictures about Julian for now on anyway. I also really want to delete my Twitter, tumblr... there's accounts out there that I barely remember creating, and only a rare email from them will remind me.

I really want to focus on the good things on the internet. When I'm breastfeeding Julian at night, it gets pretty boring. That's when I watch a lot of Youtube. I try and stay with educational videos, with stuff like hair and nail tutorials. I've also gotten back into raw food and have discovered Megan Elizabeth and Kristina. I love their videos and their energy! It's inspired me to seriously up my fruit and veggie intake. I've probably eaten as many fruits and veggies in the last two days as I normally would in a whole month!!! It's tough when I'm not doing a lot of the grocery shopping, but I really want to change, and I need to so that Julian can get the best nutrition possible as well.

I also want to write on here as much as possible, and really bring something positive if I can. Like this post: I want you to question how you use the internet too. Just like the guy I mentioned in my last post, I realized that the internet isn't to blame for our bad habits. I ended up watching a lot of crappy daytime TV without the internet (like TMZ - eww!!) I'm glad I didn't have real cable or else it would have been even worse. We need to take responsibility for all of our actions. Those online can sometimes be abstract, because we're not really "doing" anything, so it's easy for those actions to seem out of our hands or not our responsibility. But if you're lazy, you'll be lazy with or without the internet. There's just a lot of useless crap out here that can easily distract even the most driven and motivated person and turn them into someone who seems lazy. Now I'm always asking myself, "What else could I be doing?" If it's something I enjoy more, something that needs to get done, or just something more productive then I get up and do it.

There's a lot of great stuff out there on the web. Instead of watching stupid cat videos, watch a TED Talk or something educational. Instead of reading everybody's drama on Facebook, find an interesting article or blog to read. Download some eBooks, learn a new skill, or better yet, just get off every now and then and do something, ANYTHING else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment