Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Home with the Kids

Throughout my entire pregnancy, I had always planned to return to work part-time after a two or three month break. During this time I would relax, take care of Julian, and the usual new-mom stuff. On April 1st, just two weeks before he was born, I left work. Now two months have passed since he was born and Renato and I have decided that I will not go back to work.

He was actually the one to bring it up to me. About two weeks ago, there was one day where I only got about three hours of sleep and it really kicked my ass. I felt terrible the entire day, and I guess how I was acting freaked him out a bit, because the next day he suggested I continue to stay home.

It was honestly a relief. I can't imagine going to work right now, even for part time. Renato's mom recently went back to work, and even before that she rarely wanted to babysit. He works nights and sleeps during the part of the day where I would probably be working. Julian still isn't sleeping through the night and barely gives me time to get ready each day. So going to work would be really tough, and I'm grateful that he brought it up so I didn't have to! 

I've settled into a nice routine the past couple of weeks, finally. With Renato's mom working, I've been taking care of his little brother Diego as well. He just finished 3rd grade and started summer break, so it's even more important that I'm home so I can watch him as well as Julian. I like the slow pace of my days staying at home, and I've got a decent amount of room to do my own thing. It's not all cooking and cleaning, luckily. But it's also not the cute fantasy I sometimes had of wearing adorable aprons and baking cupcakes all day (although I do have a Minnie Mouse apron... so I don't see why I'm not doing those things!!!)
Honestly I've wanted to be a stay at home mom for a couple years now. I never thought it would happen this soon - I imagined this way later, in my late twenties or early thirties. I really like the idea of homeschooling (at least the early years), even though my own attempt at it completely failed. And Renato and I have talked a lot about the choice between money or time together. We both agreed that we'd rather make less money with part-time jobs, but have more time together, than make more money with full time jobs and have less time together.

He just got a promotion and raise, so me being out of work isn't making a big dent in our finances. In my last job I made just about as much as his raise has added. But I do want to try and sell some stuff on Etsy to make a little extra cash. I sold a couple things a few years ago and it went well, I just didn't work very hard at it. Maybe this time, since I've got a bit more motivation, it can actually grow into a regular little business.Stay tuned, hopefully by this week I'll have something up for sale!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment