Thursday, August 15, 2013

Getting to Sleep

Today (last night, really) I decided that I was going to drop all other goals that I've been working on and focus on just one: getting Julian to sleep through the night. He has done this only ONCE in his own crib, and once in a bassinet.

This last month I've been really lazy about Julian's bedtime routine. During my visit to Austin, I didn't have a separate place to put him to sleep. So, he slept with me. I found out I could nurse him back to sleep without even having to get out of bed or even fully wake up. Yes, cardinal sin of all sins for babies, but for the past month Julian has mostly slept in bed with me, at least part of each night.

But although I'm able to be lazy and stay in bed with him, he also sleeps for shorter periods of time with me. When he was born I was proud that he could sleep for 4 to 6 hours, but now, he barely makes it to the 4 hour mark. He's actually sleeping worse than ever, in my opinion, so I'm going to sacrifice my comfort and sleep that I've gotten used to for the next month to get back into a good routine, and cross your fingers, he'll mostly be sleeping through the night by the time he is 5 months old. (Oh yeah, he just turned 4 months this Tuesday!)


This came to my attention yesterday when I went over the papers sent home from his recent check-up. According to them, he ought to be sleeping through the night more now and I need to reduce nighttime feedings, especially if he's just using my breast as comfort and he's not really hungry (which I'm 100% sure he's dong). 

So I'm going to start out with the Johnson's bedtime approach with their Lavender bedtime soap and lotion. I'll come back in a week and update everyone on how that's going, which is hopefully well. 


Haha, ok, he woke up from his nap (that's another thing we need to work on - longer naps)

Bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment